Baked Oatmeal

I get asked for this recipe a lot. It's inexpensive compared to buying processed instant whatever flavored oatmeal packages, and this recipe lasts us the entire week.


1/4 cup butter, melted
2 large eggs (1/2 cup egg beaters)
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla or almond extract
1 tbsp cinnamon (Saigon cinnamon is goooood!)
1/4 tsp salt (I use pink salt)
1 1/4 cups milk
3 cups of oatmeal (quick/instant)
1-2 cups dried fruit (blueberry craisins are the best!!)

Whisk milk and eggs first. Add butter, whisk until smooth, then add everything else and the fruit last.
Let it sit on the counter at room temp for 20-30 mins covered.
Pour into a casserole dish and use a spatula to even out the top.
350 degrees for 35-45 mins. We're at a higher elevation, so I cook it for 35, but you can always pop it back in if it feels squishy in the center. It should be slightly squishy like ummm.... Squishing your fingertips, but not squishy in the center like pudding, yah? :)
Cut into squares and store in a Tupperware container, lasts a week! 

I cut my oats with a food processor, so the texture is more even, and then add another 1/2 cup of oats uncut. You can add more brown sugar or less fruit to taste. :)

For you visual learners, I took photos of the steps I take and what it looks like:

ingredients

I use pink salt and love the richness of Saigon cinnamon



On the left is uncut oats and cut oats via food processor. Just for texture.
I usually cut via my processor for 3 cups and add 1/2 cup uncut oats for absorption.
I whisk the melted butter and milk together first, so when I add the eggs, the melted
butter doesn't turn the eggs into egg drop soup ;)
After the milk, butter and eggs, I dump everything in, including my fruit.
I make my own raisins, but if you aren't into the whole non-processed food thing,
I recommend Craisins - Blueberry flavored.
Let it sit, covered for about 20-30 minutes to give the oats some time to soak.
If you're using regular oats and not quick oats, you'll have to stick it in 
the fridge, covered, overnight.
Spray your pan of choice with Extra Virgin olive oil spray
or Pam
Im using a Paula Dean casserole dish from Walmart, love it! Just hand wash it! :)
Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes.
Let it sit and cool before cutting!

Happy baking! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment