Fresh spaghetti sauce


Making your own spaghetti sauce takes a while, but when dinner comes, it is sooooo rewarding. It's the kind of fresh quality you'd expect from an upscale Italian bistro!



What you'll need:

4 lbs Roma tomatoes
2 big hot house tomatoes
Italian seasoning - click here for the recipe to make your own
1 big garlic head
1 medium-large sized yellow onion
1 small can of tomato paste (6oz)




First you de-skin your tomatoes. I recommend doing this in the morning so when you finish peeling the skins off the tomatoes, you can put them in the pot that you plan on using in the fridge to ferment a little. If you didn't see my post on how to de-skin/peel tomatoes click here to view the post.

With the garlic and onion, peel those after the tomatoes and purée and also put those in the fridge to set a bit in either a ziplock baggie, tupperware, or I just put the detachable food processor container in.



When I say morning, I usually do this around 8 or 9 am. When 3 pm rolls around, the same day, that's when I start 'brewing.'



So at 3 pm, I take the lot out of the fridge. The tomatoes and  puréed onion and garlic. With the puréed mix of onion and garlic still in my food processing container, I add 3-4 tomatoes at a time. Mind you, take the peeled tomatoes out of your pot first, and as you purée your tomatoes, you'll pour the lot into the pot. 

Once all is puréed and in the pot, put it on your stove and for me, because of the altitude i'm at, I set the burner between medium to medium-low. This is going to be brewing for about 3 to 4 hours. You don't want a rolling boil.

So, add in your Italian seasoning and tomato paste at this point, stir it in well. If you have any other ingredients you'd like to add at this point, add it now! This is a pretty versatile recipe, so you can add cheese, or ground meat if you want a meat sauce.


You want to wait until the sauce does a little :bloop: ditty. Not boiling, but the sauce should start to thicken and you'll see air bubbles slowly start to bubble up. I call it blooping. ;)

Depending on how you or your family like your sauce, runny or more solid, you can add or subtract the amount of time you brew, but I do recommend at least 3 hours of brewing.

The 2 large hot house tomatoes are for juice. So if you prefer less juice, forgo the big guns and just stick with the 4 lbs of Roma tomatoes. I say Roma because they do really well, flavor-wise, for fresh spaghetti sauce. Also, since it's just my husband and I, and this serves 8 people, it's a blessing in disguise for me. It lasts the week (7 days max) in the fridge without freezing, and I just keep it in a tight sealed tupperware container. I pull it out every other night, dump half the container into a pot, and use it with Jenny-O Sweet Italian turkey sausage or just add mushrooms.







Also, for fresh pasta, I blogged a recipe and how to make it, very simple.











Happy baking! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment